Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Love You People!

Sometimes I am just overwhelmed with emotion for the way that God has so perfectly orchestrated my life to be right where I am right now. He knew long before I was born that I would be here in South Carolina at this phase of my life and that I would be a part of a growing and dynamic body of believers called LifeSong Church. Jon and I came to LifeSong in a very unique way that was quite obviously God's hand. Lots of times in our lives we can look back later and see how God was directing us but this time we could see it unfolding right before our eyes. Some Sunday mornings I want to stand up in front of the church and just shout, "I love you people!" And I do, some easily and some with God's help. :-)

I love Misty and Bobby and their heart for teaching our children to love Jesus. Misty has been my friend since the first day we walked into LifeSong and her sweet spirit inspires me to try and find my inner sweetness, since my first instinct is definitely more tart than sweet. And I love Lisa Fleming, who intimidated me on our first meeting without meaning to, but who has since become a dear friend based on so much more than that first thing we had in common. I love Marsha, who is such a straight shooter than you can always trust her to tell you the truth. I love Amy Hickman who works so tirelessly with the Aroma team to minister to the women at LifeSong, and I know it's not easy when you have a household that includes four children, a husband and two dogs! I love Misty's mom Vickie, which is easy because we are very alike, and Vickie's sister Janet, who is so quiet and NOT like me, and I especially love how they stick together the way sisters should. It gives me hope for my daughters one day and I sure do need it, based on the way they fight tooth and nail. I love Connie, who despite the world's attempts to crush her spirit, just keeps clinging to God with everything she's got. I love Miss Eulala, who always has a smile and an encouraging word for me, and I want to be like her one day. I love my Jenness who cheerfully takes care of my children when they have to come with me for some grown-up thing. I love Amanda, who seems so quiet but is really very funny and she gets my pop culture references. I've written before about my sweet friend Amy D. And of course I love my choir sisters. I could go on and on. And that's just some of the women at LifeSong! I haven't even started on the men. I could go on and on....

One thing I've observed about LifeSong is that it's not the kind of church where you can come in, sit on the back row and leave unscathed. You either love it or can't stand it. We are very intense. Jon and I loved it from day 1 and knew we were at home, and most of the people we've talked to who have joined the church after us felt the same way. It didn't take more than one visit to know if it was the place they wanted to be. We've seen others come for one service and never come back. I can understand that, because not everyone is at the same level of spiritual maturity. There was a time in Jon's life that LifeSong would have scared him to death! I've been in all kinds of churches in my lifetime and there's not much out there that would surprise me at this point. This is where God has put us and it is so exciting to watch the church morph and grow, and I think this is just the beginning. God has big plans for LifeSong Church. I can feel it every time I step into the building. I want to be a part of those plans however God chooses to use me.

No comments: