Saturday, July 5, 2008

Friends and gods (not interchangeable)



In the past 24 hours I have had the pleasure of witnessing my child's pure bliss (although I'm not sure that word is strong enough) in having her best friend beside her. I call Harper her best friend even though maybe a better term is "oldest" friend. The girls have known each other since the age of two. Until our family moved in June 2006, they were together at least once or twice a week, not counting church services. Our families vacationed together, we ate together and played together. After the Adams moved to SC we visited and stayed over at each other's homes, which if you've never done it, definitely gives you a new level of intimacy! Anyway, Harper is the kind of friend who has known Karis so long that Karis' quirks don't phase her, and Karis is glowing in the presence of a friend who knows her well and would choose KARIS above all other friends. I can see the confidence and peace in Karis' face and it moves me to tears. For a child who sometimes struggles with social situations and kids her own age, being with Harper is like a breath of fresh air to Karis. She doesn't have to try so hard because Harper knows her well and loves her anyway. When we answered the door yesterday afternoon, the two girls hugged and immediately ran off to play like they had never been apart for nearly a year.

I want to be that way with my friends. When I am with them, I want that joy to show in my face. Who doesn't want to know that their presence is valued and appreciated? When I call a friend on the phone, I want that friend to feel the unabashed joy I have in our friendship. Am I asking too much of myself and other people? Maybe. I'm not always in a good mood but I'm ALWAYS happy to be with my friends, the ones who know me well and love me anyway, and I'm sure it's not easy all the time. The Bible tells us we are to "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Colossians 3:13) It's not that hard to hurt my feelings but I do my best (with God's help) to forgive. I hope my friends feel the same, and I think they do.

Speaking of hurting my feelings, that may not be so easy to do once we get through with this No Other Gods study. Behold, the old man is gone and the new man has come! I don't have to be a slave to what others think of me or say to/about me. Of course, that's easier said than done. I love that whole section of Colossians (verses 1-17) that we read for the last day of this week's study. In fact, I may print that out and put it on my bathroom mirror so I can be reminded of it everyday. The section that we are discussing on Sunday has been very hard for me and yet very freeing. When we first started the study and were introduced to the idea of "functional gods" I had a feeling that there was one lurking in my life that was a person and sure enough, I had that feeling confirmed for me in this week's study. Yikes! It's not fair to people to set them up as gods and give them so much power over you, plus most times they don't even know they have that power AND they definitely don't usually ask for that much control. I wouldn't want to be someone's functional god. I'm human and therefore doomed to fail, and then what? Just something to think about.

So now we are thinking about ways to get our family out to Las Vegas, someway, somehow, in the next few months so another year doesn't go by without Karis and Harper seeing each other. I took this picture of them yesterday. I think their facial expressions say it all.

No comments: