Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thinking Out Loud

There a person that I come in contact with on a regular basis that I am struggling to understand. And it's no one who would read this blog, but I'm not naming names anyway. My highest-ranked spiritual gift is discernment and while I know I get things wrong sometimes, more often when I get a "feeling" about something, it turns out to be right. I don't think this person likes me. I can't put my finger on any one particular event that could be considered evidence. In fact, it's more about what hasn't been done than what HAS. It's just a vibe I get. So then I start thinking to myself about 1) why does this person not like me? and 2) why do I care?

I have no idea why said person doesn't like me. I don't think I've said or done anything to offend, but then again, sometimes my mouth runs away with me and I just might have said something offensive at some point. Now, I don't think this person actively dislikes or hates me. I just feel more of a "I'll interact with you because I have to but if it was my choice we would not cross paths" kind of thing. As if we will never be friends, just people who are thrown into each other's environment. Is it our life circumstances? Are we just so different we couldn't be friends? And it's not like I haven't made attempts, albeit timid ones. I guess it's human nature to want to be liked. But who says that you have to be friends with everybody who wants to be your friend?

So why do I care? My worth doesn't come from what someone else thinks about me. My worth comes from the fact that I am a child of God. I have to admit I don't like everybody, even those I associate with regularly and like I said, no one says we have to be friends with every single person we know. I do know people that I like but we just don't "click" as friends. Some people are destined to get to a certain level of "knowing" and no further. And I suppose I should look at it from the other person's point of view, which is something I usually pride myself on. Then there's the part of me that just can't help feeling that if we got to know each other, we would find we had a lot in common. Or maybe that's the problem. Oh well. God knows His plans and I need to accept that He knows what's best.

No comments: