Saturday, September 20, 2008

Where Was I?

So where was I? Oh, yes - One Month to Live. I've been able to make some relatively small changes since starting the book and I find myself weighing my choices a little more carefully. I'm spending more time talking and playing with my kids and less time on the computer or watching TV. Sadly, the amount of time I spend on housework is unaffected, for better or for worse. One day's reading was about how our lives are similar to a roller coaster with all its ups and downs and unpredictability, yet we enjoy the adrenaline rush it gives us. The assignment was to figure out my own metaphor for life, something that suited me personally. I chose a surfer. Although I may get knocked down by the waves, I float back to the surface, and instead of being ruled by the waves I tap into their power and use it to propel myself forward. I thought it was quite fitting.

The new worship team (everyone who tried out except for one) is singing a song tomorrow morning and I can't wait! We actually had a rehearsal on Monday night. I'm not used to actually having a worship team rehearsal other than Sunday morning before the service. Larry gave us name labels to put on our microphones. Odd how such a small piece of plastic can give me such satisfaction but it does. Amy asked him if we could bring in our own colored tape but he said no. :-) There is but one decorated mike, and it belongs to Larry. Anyway, the song we're singing is so powerful I bet it will take the roof right off LifeSong Church. I know I felt the Spirit when we were rehearsing and if the PT can feel it and show it, it's going to be an amazing service.

I'm going to blog about something I did last week, and I've only told one other person (not Jon), so if someone else knows it's going to be because they've read this blog. I was at Hardee's on 29 one morning last week. It might have been Wednesday - whatever day it was raining so hard. I had my breakfast, read my OMTL and journaled, then headed out for WalMart to get an oil change. I had to sit and wait for traffic to get clear so I could turn left and it seemed to take forever. Finally I had an opening and I turned left...... directly into a left turn lane GOING THE OTHER WAY! There was a median between me and the lane I was aiming for. I'm sitting here in my van in the pouring raing thinking, I'm on the wrong side of the highway...I hope nobody comes up over that hill wanting to turn left....I'm gonna die! Honestly, it really brought the whole OMTL thing home to me and a new, fresh, and quite jarring way. Of course it all turned out OK. I noticed the median was sloping and not squared off, so I checked to see if anyone was coming (nope) and just drove over it into the correct side of the road. I felt so stupid! How could I not see there was a median? But God took care of me in my stupidity and showed me the way out. Talk about your adrenaline rush! Who needs a roller coaster? I'm sure there are all sorts of metaphors hidden in that little incident but right now the laundry is calling....

No comments: