Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Times They Are A-Changing!

Daughter A got married last month, in a lovely little wedding that cost us all of $1500. The wedding dress we bought for $1 probably had a lot to do with that. While I was happy for her, I have to admit that I was a little sad about seeing things change. We love James and he's a great guy, and we welcomed him into our family with open arms. At least until he does something to make us mad, then all bets are off. Just kidding, James. Anyway, after 21 years I had gotten accustomed to having Dana under my roof, and now I had to get used to her living elsewhere. To be honest, I was looking forward to having a whole lot less to do now that the wedding itself is done.

And then.... and then....and then..... my daughter informed me (rather bluntly, I might add) that their new little family of two.... will be a family of three by the end of the year! I heard my Grandma tell Dana that she needed to get busy so that we can have 5 generations again, but I don't think she meant for Dana to get pregnant right away. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I'm so not ready to be a grandmother. I'm still raising my OWN kids, for crying out loud! Now I have to find a name that means "my mother's mother" and yet doesn't make me sound like I should be able to get the senior discount at Hamricks.

And now that James is at Basic Training, Dana has practically moved back in. But that's OK.

On a more serious note (not that having a baby isn't serious enough), daughter B, who is struggling at school lately, has been prescribed ADD meds by the pediatrician. I took her in for a consultation and the ped said it was pretty obvious that she has ADD. On the one hand, I'm hopeful that she may finally get a chance to experience success at school. But on the other hand, I feel guilty somehow. It's like I think I should have been able to handle her without the help of meds. The past few weeks have been nightmarish in dealing with homework and bedtime, and basically any kind of transition. The very first day she used the patch, I could tell she was so much calmer. Even after the meds have worn off she's calmer. I think she feels so much more in control of herself on the patch that she feels more able to control herself the rest of the time. And while she's always been a sweet girl, lately it's like the sweetness has just risen to the surface. She's so much calmer ("less frantic" was the term her big sister used, and it's very true) that her younger sister has even calmed down. Go figure.

No comments: