Monday, December 8, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

That's a good title for this blog, but not my most favorite of Christmas songs. That would probably be "Mary Did You Know". It's most likely because I'm a mother that I relate to that song so well. Remembering my girls when they were infants and imagining myself in Mary's shoes that night is just overwhelming. Along with all the joy that comes with a new baby there must have been such awe and wonder at the specialness of *this* baby. "When you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God." Wow!

I also like a song called "Strange Way to Save the World" for much the same reason. Here's Joseph, his fiance gets pregnant and it's NOT his, and he chooses to stand by her. All the townspeople whisper and point whenever he walks by. How does it feel to be Joseph? He knows what this baby means to the world and to him personally. What a responsibility - to raise the son of God; to train Him up in the way He should go.

And then there's "We Are the Reason" that talks about gifts and how the greatest gift of all was born on Christmas. As much as the world seems to want to cut God out of everything else, at Christmas time they seem to come back to Him in some small way. For all the complaining I hear about Santa and Xmas taking over, I just don't see it overshadowing the birth of Christ. Am I blind? Or maybe I'm just focusing on the good things. Either way, I think I'll just keep my rose-colored glasses on for now.

And I forgot to light the Advent candle last night.

No comments: